New Report on GPT and Local Economic Impacts
“The Proposed Gateway Pacific Terminal and Key Impact Issues for the Whatcom County Economy” By PFM Group
Download Executive Summary
Download CWB Press Release
Key Report Findings:
- Whatcom County’s quality of life “second paycheck” could be damaged by GPT’s coal train impacts, thereby hurting the local economy.
- Property values in Whatcom County neighborhoods adjacent to the train tracks could decrease with GPT’s increased train traffic, as has occurred in other areas.
- Bellingham home sales data since 2011 suggests that GPT’s proposal to double local train traffic may already be decreasing property values in rail side neighborhoods.
- New data indicates that GPT’s job creation projections are likely overstated.
- The prospect of GPT impacts may already be hurting Whatcom County’s ability to attract talent and grow the economy.
The Communitywise Bellingham Report Series:
Since 2012, Communitywise Bellingham has commissioned and produced a series of reports on the GPT proposal. The goal of the report series is to provide our communities and decision makers with data-based information on GPT’s local impacts, including topics that are not being studied in the coal port’s official environmental review.